- Cantata of Love, Blaise Arminjon – a verse by verse exposition of the Song of Songs based on the Fathers of the Church. “Let us then come within the Holy of Holies, that is, the Song of Songs.” (Gregory of Nyssa) I can’t tell you 1) how many times I’ve read this book and 2) how much I’m convinced that the Song of Songs is one of the most underread books of the Bible.
- Fire of Mercy, Heart of the Word, Meditations on the Gospel according to St. Matthew, Volumes 1 & 2, Erasmo Leiva-Merikakis – stunningly beautiful writing and brilliant exegesis of the Gospel of Matthew. He is often quoted in our house. . .
- Psalms 1-72 and Psalms 73-150, Derek Kidner – Very good commentaries on the psalms.
- Praying the Bible, and Introduction to Lectio Divina, Mariano Magrassi – This book not only explains what Lectio Divina is–it also inspires one to “pray the Bible.”
- Covenant and Conversation, A Weekly Reading of the Jewish Bible, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks — “An intellectual and philosophical journey through the underpinnings of our faith and the origins of our people.” A wonderful read on the book of Genesis–enriching and inspiring.
- The Jesus Storybook Bible, Every story whispers his name, Sally Lloyd-Jones – a wonderful book.
Check back periodically for more listings.